🍞 Best Bread Machine Bread.
I often get caught up in something, for a week at a time. Maybe fixing my truck, a certain book, consuming news, a new gadget, coding something, and far too often binge watching a TV series (most recent: Vikings). This week’s obsession: our new bread machine, a christmas present.
I’ve been obsessed with trying to make restaurant style bread at home- you know, the kind at those Italian joints that they hand out before your meal, to make you think your meal was super filling. At very least, just trying to make bread comparable to the higher-end bread at the store that rings up at over $5.
I tried each recipe the machine came with, and lots of online recipes – but each tasted cheap, gooy, too hard or too soft. I was severely disappointed, and half my compost is now filled with rejected loafs.
Anyways, after much trial-and-error, I’ve finally made something just right by combining three different recipes. I’ve created the ultimate best bread machine bread recipe:
- 1 cup hot water (free!)
- 2 teaspoons yeast ($0.40)
- 3 overflowing tablespoons sugar ($0.03)
- 1/4 cup of butter ($0.62)
- 1 teaspoon salt ($0.01)
- 3 cups white flour ($0.30)
- 1 tablespoon vital wheat gluten ($0.05)
- 3 tablespoons Italian/vegetable seasoning ($0.35)
Total Cost: $1.76
- Activate yeast in the warm water, 10min; until frothy
- Add all other ingredients
- Set the machine to 1.5 kg, white/light crust, on the basic setting
- Once complete, dump onto cooling rack for 10min
Total Time: 10 minutes to prepare, 3 hours in machine
The vital wheat gluten is the main ingredient, you could say it’s vital. If you don’t have it: don’t bother. It’s the taste difference between cheap stale bread at the ghetto grocery store in town, compared to the soft fluffy I-can‘t-belive-this-isn’t-the-meal restaurant bread you’re after.